Monday, March 26, 2012

The Prayer of St Francis Assisi - How it Came to be Sung at the Funeral

As the oldest, my siblings had asked me to welcome everyone to Dad's funeral service and to lead the congregation in an opening prayer.  


I had been toying with the idea of singing 'The Lord's Prayer' in the traditional arrangement by Albert Hay Malotte.  I have sung this version many times at weddings and other events without accompaniment (acapella).  And I thought this might relieve the pressure to find a pianist and time to practice.  Dad had always enjoyed my singing and I thought this would be appropriate.


However, on Monday morning I awoke at the Toronto Hilton with a song playing in my head that just would not quit.  Janice reminded me that I had sung the prayer of St Francis Assisi many years ago under the direction of Marie Devereau and on this day as it wouldn't leave me, I became convinced that it must be the Good Lord's leading to sing it once again.


Although I never found the music, I was able to find the lyrics and the key I should use to sing it.  On Tuesday at Dad's funeral, Bev Foster provided the  'A' I needed from the piano and I sang it acapella.  It seems the prayer was a blessing for many.  May it bless you now as well.



Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury,pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy.


O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment